Tuesday, August 7, 2007

SIVAJI THE BOSS





S U P E R S T A R...R A J I N I K A N T H
Sorry I don’t have that background music to give it the extra kick when you see those titles flashing on the screen.

Having seen Sivaji The Boss twice, I am now game for a third time. The first time was at Kew Gardens Cinema theatre in New York. To accompany me was my friend who for that matter did not understand much of Tamil but was willing to shell out $30 for his ticket to watch the movie.

As those titles R A J I N I K A N T H appeared on the screen...I thought the crowd will whistle or clap...in turn it was greeted with pin drop silence....I have never watched a Rajinikanth movie in a theatre with such silence...this seemed eerie....I was surprised and disappointed...Whistling through the cap of my reynolds pen I broke the silence. Supporting me was my friend who clapped with much enthusiasm...and soon we heard some whistles, claps and screaming of the words thalaiva from a couple of rows behind. After the initial euphoria the crowd went silent again...hmm. My friend sat through the movie and liked it and so did I. But, I did not enjoy in the manner I would have liked to. I missed out on two things. I thought the crowd was very silent and showed little enthusiasm and second, the theatre was too small. Not an ideal way to watch Sivaji, The Boss.

So after two weeks I was at the Sathyam theatre in Chennai to watch SIVAJI, The Boss again. I liked the movie the second time over more than the first. The fact that I was watching it right in the heart of Chennai in an excellent theatre with an enthusiastic crowd made the difference I guess.

A very entertaining movie from start to finish. The combination of Rajini with Vivek has worked out very well. The jokes were hilarious and were timed to perfection. Shreya looks awesome and fits nicely into the role. Rajinikanth never disappoints when it comes to gimmicks. Watch out for the coin tossing and the bouncing of bubble gum from hand to mouth. Truly enjoyable stuff from the super star! In the second half, Rajni the star takes over. From hereon its all Rajini..Rajini...Rajini till the end. The cast well supported by Vivek, Raghuvaran, Manivannan and others has done a neat job. Music by AR is good. But like most of AR’s music, one gets hooked to the songs only after you hear them a few times, with "Sahaana Saaral Thoorutho" sung by Udit Narayanan and Chinmayi being my favorite. The only song I did not like was probably the Balelakka Balelakka song which comes in the beginning. The movie is yet another hit from director Shankar.

I will give the movie 4 stars out of 5. Don't miss this movie even if you are not a Rajinikanth fan. You will become one. R A J I N I K A N T H takes it to a different level. WATCH IT OR MISS OUT!

1 comment:

rejulibra said...

I endorse all that you have quoted. To add on, it's my first Rajnikanth movie in a cinema hall! I gaped from beginning till end and am game for it 'n' number of times again!

When i read the text i can visualise Rajnikanth popping the chewing gum! Way to go.....thani vazhi...